The palace of Malia, dating from the Middle Bronze Age, was destroyed by an earthquake during the Late Bronze Age. Knossos and other sites were also destroyed at that time. The palace was later rebuilt toward the end of the Late Bronze Age. Most of the ruins visible today date from this second period of construction. Also here is a strange carved stone called a kernos stone, which looks like a millstone with a cup attached to the side of it. On the north side of the courtyard were storage rooms with giant earthenware pithos jars, up to two metres tall. These were used for holding grain, olive oil and other liquids; the floor of these rooms has a complex drainage system for carrying away spilled liquids. Important parts of the old and new excavations are covered by a series of large semi-transparent roofs, which protect them from the elements. In places tourists are allowed to wander among the ruins; in others, walkways allow passage above. There are rooms which have been identified as metal workshops, ceramic workshops and meeting rooms; there is also a large residential dwelling with on-suite bath, which is similar to a design at Phaistos, both taking advantage of expansive views.
Monastery of St. George Selinaris
The male monastery of St. George Selinaris is built in the heart of the gorge of Selinaris near Vrachasi Lasithi and in Naples. According to tradition, a monk from Rhodes, Nicholas, was led by God to a point where he found the image of St. George built the chapel. Nicholas moved to Selinari until his death, when he was buried in a small cave at the top of Anavlochou that he carved himself. Years after death, a roditiko boat passing and sailors watched the remarkable progress of a star stopped above the cave and shining like a sun. then realized it was a divine sign, went to this place, they took his bones and went to Rhodes his homeland. During the Turkish occupation, the Turks considered that tried to destroy the monastery, as this testify the three bullets that are stuck in the old image of the saint, which is considered miraculous.
Cave of Milatos
The cave of Milatos, also known as Rapa Cave, located 3 km north of Milatos, at 140m altitude. The cave is easily visited, open to visitors, but a flashlight is necessary for the darkest of places. The cave of Milatos is known for the tragedy that took place in February 1823. In the winter of 1822-23, Hasan Pasha destroyed and depopulated the Plateau. Then raided the Mirabello area residents by providing its destructive fury, they took refuge in caves. A Turk, the Terzalis or Deres, Hassan Pasha informed that the inhabitants had fled to the cave of Milatos. He immediately sent his Lieutenant, Hussein Bey, with 5000 soldiers to conquer the cave.The Greek chieftains were trying to keep out Saddam, causing much damage. However, the Turks managed to surround the cave. The besieged had to face thirst and hunger. They also say that 40 children born in the cave of the days of the siege. More than 2500 Greeks came to help, but the Turks had occupied strategic positions and was much more.
We are glad to inform you that Elounda Star Travel has implemented a Road Safety Management System (ISO 39001:2012) in the scope of fleet management for travelling around Crete via taxis, minibuses, buses and limos. Our RTS policy and objectives focus on diminishment of the possibility of road accidents, continual improvement of our performance and customer satisfaction based on an up to date risk assessment.